Miscellaneous articles, image and photo galleries, memorabilia, references and rarities covering all aspects of the blues and associated topics. Please note British Blues is covered separately – please click the tab above.
Blues Genres Directory
Blues genres – A directory of the main blues genres together with a brief description of the genre and stylistic origins.
Blues Artists Directories
Blues Artists Directory – A directory of early (pre-war) US blues artists, their backgrounds, blues music genres, and hometowns.
Blues Singers and Their Instruments – A comprehensive study of blues artists and their acoustic instruments by Dai Thomas.
Memories – Readers own memories of how they ‘discovered’ the blues, how this has grown over the years, who they have seen (and where) and who has inspired them the most.
Blues Record Labels
Blues Record Labels – A study of the pre-war American recording industry producing recordings primarily intended for the African American market.
Blues Related Locations
Blues Related Locations – Details and images of towns, localities and areas historically related to the blues, incorporating blues trail markers, historical commemorative markers, associated information and photo galleries.
Blues Resting Places
Resting Places – Photographs and details of the final resting places of the early Bluesmakers.
Blues Travelogues – Sharing memories of pilgrimages to the ‘Land Where the Blues Began’.
Commemorative Markers – US based organisations with programs for the placement of historical commemorative markers which identify and interpret significant historical sites relating to the blues and associated themes.
Interviews – a selection of interviews with historical blues significance.
Miscellaneous Articles – an eclectic mix of blues related articles
Other Associated Themes
– Music characterized by dominant vocals drawn from Christian worship and often featuring Christian evangelical lyrics, sharing some of the same roots, influences and musical traits of blues music.
Civil Rights Movement (Coming soon)
– Evolution of the Civil Rights movement in the context of historical blues sites.
Mississippi Freedom Trail (Coming soon)
– Commemorative markers at Mississippi sites recording events in civil rights history.
Underground Railroad (Coming soon)
– The network of secret routes and safe houses used by slaves escaping from slave holding states to free states and Canada in early-mid 19th century.
1. Some details in these sections are taken from Wikipedia articles reproduced here strictly for educational use only.Several are augmented with photographs, additional information and links by Alan White (and/or other contributors as indicated within each section).